$2500 Scholarship offer
from YYC Employment Law Group
YYC Employment Law Group is a Calgary-based employee-side boutique law firm dedicated to providing legal advice and representation to employees of any kind in any workplace-related legal issue.
At YYC Employment Law Group, we understand how important a strong legal education is to those who are interested in practicing employment law. We also understand how expensive getting a law degree can be. With that in mind, YYC Employment Law Group is offering a $2,500 CAD scholarship to a Canadian resident entering their third year of the JD program in the Faculty of Law.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2019
Winner Announced: September 15, 2019
The $2,500 CAD scholarship is being offered to a law student who can demonstrate excellence in employment law and superior academic achievement in their journey to becoming an employment lawyer.
The practice of employment law, and particularly employee-side employment law, is crucial in today’s non-unionized labour market. As advocates for the vulnerable and often marginalized, employee-side employment lawyers provide a necessary level of protection against the inequalities inherent in the master-servant relationship, workplace exploitation in various forms, and harassment, bullying and discrimination. We are admittedly biased, but we think it’s one of the most important practice areas within the legal profession.
What we’re looking for:
A written submission regarding the reasons underlying your passion for employment law and, specifically, why the protection of employees under the law is still necessary in 2019.
Applicants should submit a 1,000-word essay (maximum) surrounding a relevant employment law topic of their choosing (i.e. human rights, wrongful dismissal, etc.) and why strong legal advocacy is required for the continued protection of employees. Emphasis can be given to personal anecdotes, case law and/or academic and scholarly literature.
Requirements to Apply
You must be a Canadian resident entering the third year (3L) of the JD program in the Faculty of Law.
You must be able to demonstrate superior academic achievement with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 in your legal studies.
You must be able to demonstrate excellence with the grade of B+ or higher in employment law coursework.
- Submit an essay not to exceed 1,000 words to us HERE in either .doc or .pdf format.
- We encourage creativity, but please do not use vulgarity or profanity.
- Please do not use real names of employees, employers or businesses in your essay, unless they’re otherwise publicly available in reported case law decisions.
- Your essay should showcase your passion for and understanding of employment law, as well as demonstrate excellent grammar.
- Once submitted, entries cannot be returned or edited and only one entry per applicant.
- All entries must be received by midnight August 31, 2019.
- The winner will be announced no later than September 15, 2019
- The winner will need to provide proof of current enrolment in the JD program in the Faculty of Law and proof of cGPA.
- Winners will be notified by email. If the winner does not reply within 14 days, a new winner will be selected.
- Any questions should be submitted to us HERE